First off —
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
I want to take a moment to share a personal commitment I’ve made this season, which I believe will make a real difference in my local community (and the world), and make this holiday interesting and fun for me and those I’m giving to.
I believe that, as a citizen, I have a unique and inalienable power to make a difference in the economy and in the future of this nation with the choices I make every day. Based on that belief, this holiday season I’ve decided make a commitment to use my spending power in the best way I can think of:
I’m no stranger to the last-minute present run to Target, Wal-mart… hey, even Walgreens! But this year, I figured that with a little planning, research and discipline, I could feel better about giving by giving something to my community with each thing I purchase. I’m a big fan of discovering and better utilizing the incredible resources in my community, plus there’s so many reasons to buy local. Here’s a video ’bout it:
(thanks Don Hall and Transition Sarasota!)
I invite you to join me in making this commitment. Together, we can make a huge impact–and have fun doing it!
To help my friends carry out this commitment, I’ve pulled together a few resources for figuring out how to buy things locally that we might otherwise go to big retailers to purchase.
1. “Faves&Friends” ~ a list of my favorite local talent, goods and services you can use for buying gifts. Please comment with any of YOUR faves to improve this list.
2. Atomic Holiday Bazaar – if you missed it, you can still check out their many vendors and find awesome stuff via their blog/website. You can also see a little of what Uprise Art Collective had for sale at our booth, and hit us up for some.
3. You can buy my art and fun artsy products – I just got more stuff up online and have been on a merch-making binge for about a month! Check it out: ONLINE – at Aprilart Studios website, locally at Five Points Collective, or order a super unique gift for 2012 of your loved one’s choice with a custom commission.
WILL YOU JOIN ME? If you’re so inspired, awesome! You can just take the pledge yourself, or increase your impact by sharing this with your friends, neighbors, colleagues. The people themselves are the ones who make history — that’s us!!!
You can make your pledge ‘official in a couple of ways’–choose that which suits you best:
- Reply to this blog saying that you’re in. While you’re at it, please share few words on why you chose to join and any resources or tips you know about to help others make this shift.
- Join the facebook event page, or start your own event! (be sure to invite me)
Have a gift / talent/ skill? (everybody does) I’m also counting “making it myself” as a legitimate present — using our own gifts and talents is a great way to build community and deepen relationships with the people in our life. This is a great option if you’re not only gifted (which you are), but broke. 🙂
I’ve also taken to asking my friends to buy for ME locally, or to make me something themselves. My Dad ended up making me an awesome print display rack–he even made it a little early so I could use it for the Uprise Art Collective booth at Atomic Holiday Bazaar this year. Score!
What are YOUR favorite local folks and spots that are great for holiday buying?
Comment below so we can grow this list even bigger and build a big strong UNIQUE local economy.